Tuesday 7 January 2014

Audio Books - Any Good?


I live in a place where the buses are infrequent, he nearest station is ten miles away, and if you don't have a car you're pretty much stuck. And everything - absolutely every place I need to get to - is about an hour away from my house by road.

The problem with having to drive everywhere is that it is really very dull. Very. Really. Especially when it's the same old routes all the time. 

So this year, in an effort to stem the boredom, I thought I would give audio books a try. My daughter received one for Christmas containing a number of Beatrix Potter stories, and I put it on in the car ostensibly for her... But I discovered that I really enjoyed it to! The CD is a great one, and the stories are read by Renee Zelwegger, Emily Watson, Ewan McGregor, and Lloyd Owen. It is available here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Favourite-Beatrix-Potter-Tales-stars/dp/0723258856/

Alice enjoyed it so much that she wanted to hear it on every car journey. 

It was time to try something different. Which is when I decided that Harry Potter was the way to go. Stephen Fry's unabridged telling of all seven tales was just begging me to listen to it... So I did. We did. 

Halfway through the first book and neither Alice nor I mind the long car journeys anymore. In fact, we rather look forward to them!

What are your favourite audio books? 

No comments:

Post a Comment